MxMo #9

Mixology Monday #9 has arrived.. I re-discovered this blog event while I was looking to substantiate my case in an arguement that a friend and I have been having ALOT lately. He would drink wine all the time and thinks that there is a wine for everything. Now, while I love (would elope with a great bottle in Fiji..) I mean, love wine, I also think that sometimes variety is indeed the spice. Beer and cocktails always have a place at my table.

What better to accompany a spicy daal soaked up with naan than a hoppy Emerson's 1812 IPA? Or tortilla wrapped barbequed lamb and salsa verde with an Emerson's Organic Pilsner? Then there are rich meat pies.. while Valpolicella is nice, without a stout, beer suits as well. Classic pizza and Peroni? And although I like a moderately chilled Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc as much as the next person, a champagne cocktail aperitivo, or a tasty flavoured vodka concoction are both great celebration drinks.

Maybe not so common although I think they are enjoying a bit of a renaissance.. are gli amari. Bitters. Ranging from mildly bitter to downright sour.. in the right balance these have the potential to taste great and quench thirst like nothing else.

As for a cocktail, one of the nicest and accompanied by an equally nice memory.. was an afternoon and time out for a few drinks in the courtyard at Non Solo Pizza in Auckland. To forget, if only for a moment, the impending separation of a loved one about to board a flight bound for halfway round the world.

Aptly titled 'Ignorance is Bliss'.. 2 ways

Martini style - Shake the following with ice and strain into glass.
Serve with slice of lime.
1 shot citrus flavoured vodka (Ketel One Citroen or Absolut Mandarin)
1 shot Campari
1 shot Passionfruit syrup
1 shot pressed Apple juice

or

my take on the Non Solo Pizza Style - Serve on ice in collins or sling glass
1 shot Absolut Mandarin
1 shot Campari
Fill with Apple juice and juice of half a lime (to taste)
Top with shot of Passionfruit syup.
Garnish with citrus slice.

Cheers!

Martini recipe courtesy of sauceguide vol.4
Non Solo Pizza provided the inspiration for the long drink (theirs is fantastically more-ish!)

Comments

Nigel Olsen said…
With Campari, I can't think of anything more simple than a plain-old campari & soda - campari over ice, topped up with soda with a slice of lime - a summer essential.
Mary said…
I have to agree. Surprising how a little bitter can be so refreshing. Now if we can just get on with summer already..

Popular Posts